:: User Login ::

Thursday June 17 2021 

Featured Sponsors RIX MOTOR COMPANY LIMITED Wrexham lager SageZander Ltd

37071 visitors
since April 30, 2020

RSS Feed

Previous Years Match Reports

For 2007/2008 Season Reports are still on 'News'; For 2006/2007 Reports Go to 'News Archive'
Match Reports  2005-2006 season

Wednesday 17th May

Styal Reserves entertained Gamesley Reserves for the last game of the season on a very wet and boggy pitch, however this did not stop some free flowing attacking
football. The goals like the rain came flooding in, with Owen Fitzpatrick grabbing 2 and the club and league top scorer Jon Rixon adding another 2
to add to his tally. However super sub Vinnie came on to score 2 within 15 mins of entering the game and should have made it 3 but for a fine save from
the underfire keeper. But the evening was topped of by a fine display by up and coming youngster Chris Smith who grabbed his 1st hat trick for the club to
round off a fine team display and ensured Styal's best finish to date taking 3rd place in the Mid Cheshire Reserve division.

With the 1st team finishing 5th in Mid Cheshire Div 1 and the 'A' team also 5th in Altrincham League 2 the club looks to have good strength in depth for next season

Reports up to 16th May

Styal reserves continued their midweek games playing 3 times in the last 6 days. Despite dominating Garswood Reserves on Monday night for most of the game it was always dangerous for Styal with only John Rixson's solitary goal to show for their efforts with many chances spurned. Garswood equalised late on from a free kick which hit both posts before deciding to go over the line.

The previous 2 games had seen Styal Reserves crush Crosfields Reserves 5-1 on Tuesday night before suffering a rare defeat 4-2 at Greengate Padgate on Thursday night. Just 1 fixture remains.

Saturday 6th May

Another succesful week for Styal as the first team and 'A' team concluded their season.

On Saturday Styal followed up a 3-1 mid week victory against Knutsford by drawing 2-2 with Pilkington's. Keith Mairs opened the scoring on 5 minutes but Pilkington's struck back twice holding a lead until 15 minutes to go when John Thornton blasted a volley into the roof of the Pilkington goal from close range. This concludes a good season with a top 6 finish guaranteed. Styal 'A' have finished in 5th place in the Altrincham League Div 2 after demolishing Northern Moor by 6-1. Punk Takiar's diving header for the fourth goal will be talked about for seasons to come. Styal Reserves drew 1-1 with Billing Reserves and secured a 7-2 victory against Eagle Sports in their midweek fixtures. With 4 games still to play they look certainties to finish in 3rd place in their League,

Saturday 29th April

Styal continued a grueling schedule following mid week victories on Tuesday and Thursday against Rylands 5-1, Trafford 1-0 respectively. The reserves also won their mid week encounter against Gamesley Reserves by 4-2. Styal's home game on Saturday against Crosfields was a tight affair played on a less than true surface. This was reflected in the final 0-0 scoreline. Both teams made good chances to score and tired Styal legs after the midweek efforts probably cost them all 3 points as late opportunities were either squandered or thwarted by Crosfield's determined defence. In a game that largely by-passed the midfield Styal's main threat came from the dangerous inswinging corners by Filson or the pace of Matthews. At the other end goalkeeper Vernon dominated anything that passed the reliable Boardman and Morrison.

The reserves played away and upset 2nd placed Broadheath Reserves by defeating them by 2 goals to 1 in a solid display. John Rixson and player manager Kabbani both scored leaving Styal hopeful of making more ground in their remaining 6 fixtures and a good finishing position.

The final 'A' team game against Northenden is scheduled now for Saturday 6th May

Saturday 15th April

The game started with Styal coming out of the blocks and straight for the Middlewich defence on a tricky playing surface. John Thornton headed home an Adam Eccleston cross from the right wing after only 2 minutes giving the Middlewich keeper no chance and Styal an early lead. With both sides unable to create any clear cut cut chances it came as a surprise when, on 40 minutes, a Styal back pass to keeper Nick Vernon resulted in him kicking it straight to the Middlewich number 9. He gratefully fired into a empty net to level the scores. With the 1st half about to end Middlewich went on the attack and a deflected shot resulted in the home keeper pulling off a fantastic save to keep Styal level at half time.

The 2nd half saw the introduction of  Mike Pochin due to Joe Haywood foot injury. Pochin was involved in the build up to the 2nd goal with John Thornton again forcing the ball into the back of the Middlewich net after 60mins. Despite Styal now controlling the game it came as a blow to have Pochin red carded on 65mins reducing Styal to 10 men. Middlewich then created 3/4 half decent chances to equalize but non were taken ,giving Styal a 2-1 victory and a deserved 3pts.

Saturday 8th April

The game was played in gale force conditions with players having to adjust to the conditions. With Knutsford defending against the wind Styal were on the attack for most of the first half with Oliver Barnes somehow missing a open goal from 3yards after a great John Thornton cross. Knutsford replied with a few counter attacks but the score remained 0-0 at half-time. The second half saw Knutsford go on the attack from the off lumping long balls down the pitch for the impressive Knutsford number 9 to latch onto. Knutsford took the lead when a hopeful ball down the channel resulted in Dan Macdonnell[suggers] trying to run the ball out of play, however the Knutsford winger managed to sneak in crossing the ball for the forward to hit the target. Although keeper Nick Vernon pulled off a great save the rebound was poked home by a Knutsford attacker. Styal responded with the introduction of forwards Dave Graham and Craig Brennan who gave the Knutsford defence problems. Graham sent John Thornton away to round the keeper and slot home the equalizer on 65mins and with Styal going for the win it came as shock when Knutsford took the lead again through a defensive mistake to give the home team a 2-1 lead on 70mins. Styal's reply was to go up the other end with Dave Graham rounding the keeper for a second time to make it 2-2. With 10mins remaining Styal had a chance to wrap the game up when Brian Mathews was 1 on 1 with the Knutsford keeper only to run the ball too close to him and the chance was gone. Full time Knutsford 2 Styal 2.    

The reserves were called off due to a water logged pitch and Styal 'A' took on took on a strong AFC Sale team at Jim Evison. Styal again put in a good performance but their recent run of victories was ended by an emphatic sounding 4-0 defeat. Styal missed good opportunities whereas Sale took all that was offered to them including 3 second half Styal defensive errors

Wednesday 5th April

Middlewich Town 0-0 Styal              A difficult fixture at the league leaders looked a hopeless proposition after Boardman and Capel were sent off for the visitors before 25 minutes had been played. However, Styal showed their fighting qualities and the 4-3-1 formation they were forced into enabled Styal to frustrate the Middlewich forwards through a mixture of determination and solid defence. Styal's solitary forward, Matthews occupied 4 Middlewich defenders for long periods as he held up long balls and worried them with his pace. After 70 minutes Thornton replaced him and continued to threaten, almost scoring when he hooked a ball back into play from the byline. Middlewich's main threat came from long balls into the box but keeper Vernon coped with anything his defenders couldn't deal with.

Saturday 25th March

On what can only be described as a tricky pitch played in difficult conditions this wasn't marked down as a classic. Bollington adapted well and from the first whistle attacked Styal with long balls into the box and several attempted shots on goal. With styal unable to play their normal passing game, or get out their own half of the pitch mainly due  to the conditions and Bollingtons 'up and at them' approch,'this resulted in a 0-0 half time score. The second half saw Styal take control and it came as no surprise when Craig Brennon[ don] to his colleagues blocked a attempted back pass to the keeper and rolled the ball in to the empty net to give Styal a 1-0 lead in the 60th min. With styal now looking to kill the game off it came as  shock when a hopeful cross to the back post saw the Bollington right winger rise above Mike Filson [rocky] to head home to level the score on 70mins . With several borderline offsides this proved to be a frustrating game and one Styal could/should have won. Ful-time Bollington 1- Styal 1

Styal Reserves beat Golborne Reserves by 4 goals to 1 at Altrincham Road on a greasy pitch better suited to attacking than defending. Styal 'A' pulled out a gritty performane way against 2nd placed Kartel Sports beating them 1-0 with a Scott Hawkins bullet header.

Saturday 18th March

Styal's first game since the semi final defeat away to Garswood  3weeks ago started with the home team on the attack from the first whistle. Some neat passing resulted in Oliver Barnes placing the ball past the Linotype keeper giving Styal  the lead inside 20mins. With Styal now going to kill the game off with a 2nd goal, Styal were given a penalty when a Linotype defender handled the ball inside the box. The penalty was missed by Keith Mairs who shot wide of goal, this giving the away team a chance to get a foot in the game. Linotype had a several corners which  resulted in them hitting the crossbar just before half time but the second half saw Styal pressing for that 2nd goal which didn't arrive until the introduction of subs Neil Capel and Steve Boardman. They combined well down the right side to set up Brian Matthews who coolly slotted home Styal's 2nd goal to kill the game with 20mins left. A Linotype defender was booked for his reaction to the goal, his 2nd booking which meant  that the opposition were down to 10men for the final 20mins of the game. Full time Styal 2-Linotype/Cheadle Heath Nomads 0  

To complete a good day all around for Styal the Reserves beat Garswood Utd Reserves 3-1 at Garswood and the 'A' team also triumphed by a 3-1 scoreline at home against Northenden Victoria

Saturday 25th February

Styal's hopes of a cup final appearance faltered in saturday's semi final at Garswood United. The game started with Styal in total control of the game, moving the ball around on a tricky surface but not breaching the Garswood defence. With the Garswood forward line not causing any problems to the Styal defence it was a surprise when on 25mins a quick Garswood throw in resulted in a cross from the Garswood left winger somehow finding its way into the top corner of the Styal goal with keeper Nick Vernon well beaten.

The game continued with Styal attacking and Garswood defending their 1-0 lead up until half time. The second half saw wave after wave of Styal attack but never really testing the Garswood keeper until a cross/shot from a corner saw their keeper pull off fantastic save from Keith Mairs. The only other chance was from Brian Mathews who drilled his shot over the bar on 75mins. Credit must go to Garswood defence who defended for there lives making it a horrible Saturday night for all involved at Styal.

The reserves fixture at Altrincham Road fell foul of the weather and the 'A' team went out for a tough away fixture against league leaders Brooklands. After a stoic 1st half defensive display Styal wrapped the game up by 3-0 with 3 well taken 2nd half goals. Matt Cooke scored 2 particularly well taken efforts after good build up play by Vince and Fitzpatrick. Hawkins and Kenny dominated the midfield areas for large parts of the game and Giblin made sure that the defence coped with all that was thrown at them by an increasingly desperate Brooklands forward line.

Saturday 18th February

Styal's game against Crosfields was postponed on Saturday due to the wet playing surface at Altrincham Road. The reserves and 'A'; team both won their respective games 3-2 against teams just above them in the League. The reserves 3 goals came from Basden 2 and Thornton 1 in their away game at Linotype/Cheadle Heath Nomads. Meanwhile the 'A' team beat Sale Amateurs with 3 first half goals from Vince, Bradley and Cockitt. Sale replied twice in the last 15 minutes but this was a game Styal dominated with one of their best displays this season against good opposition.

Saturday 11th February

Styal 2 Garswood United 2

The game started well for styal with the midfield getting a grip on the game from the word go. On 20 mins some clever passing released Craig Brennan who coolly slotted the ball past the stranded Garswood keeper to make it 1-0. Within 5 mins of the restart however, Garswood had a counter attack which resulted in them hitting the crossbar only for the rebound to find a way to the Garswood centre forward who made the scores 1-1. After 25 mins with Styal now trying to pass their way forward on what can only be said was a tricky playing surface, it was only justice when Craig Brennan put Styal  into a 2-1 on 40mins with  all 3 forwards playing a part in the goal.

The second half saw Styal create several good chances to put the game beyond doubt but these were all wasted. It looked as if Styal had done enough but trouble came when Garswood got a free kick 25yrds from the styal goal with 5 mins remaining. The shot seemed to go under the wall and into the bottom corner with the unsighted keeper jumping over the ball.. Full-time Styal 2-Garswood 2. The same teams meet in the Mid-Cheshire cup semi final in 2 weeks time.

The reserves had no fixture but the 'A' team returned to form with a 6-0 thrashing of Northern Moor. Goals from Morrel 2, Adkin 2, Vince and Cooke. In addition to the result manager Mark Johnson was even more delighted about the return of the sprightly Takiar after his long-term injury

Saturday 4th February

The game started with Styal again in total control with the forwards causing the Eagle defence all sorts of problems. They were rewarded with a Brian Matthews goal on 20mins.

With the home a goal down they upped the tempo and equalized with their first shot,  a 20yrd effort after 25mins. A sweeping move involving 4 players resulted in Styal taking a 2-1 lead into the break, although Eagle were still in contention and causing the Styal defence all sorts of problems .Half Time Eagle 1 Styal 2.

The second half saw Styal create and waste 4 clear cut chances to increase  the lead with Oliver Barnes and John Thornton the main culprits. With the game only minutes from the end a indirect free kick was given against Nick Challinor 12yrds from goal, which was dispatched by the Eagle forwards. Full Time Eagle 2 Styal 2.

30mins of extra time was played and Brian Matthews second goal gave Styal the edge. With Styal looking the fitter team and with 10 minutes to go, Mike Filson was sent off and Styal played out a nervy last 10mins. A last minute blundered attempted clearance by Steve Boardman [staz] gave the Eagle team a late chance but Styal came through the 3-2 victors

The reserves also went down by a tight margin losing 0-1 at home to a revitalised Daten Reserves. Styal 'A' didn't buck the trend for defeats. Despite starting well and missing early chances they ended up soundly beaten at home by Kartel Sports by 0-4. The writing was firmly on the wall for Styal from the point that Scott Hawkins firmly buried a loose bal in the penalty box past his own goalkeeper. Next week must be better!

Saturday 28th January

Witton Albion Reserves 3 Styal 1

This was an even game for the first 25 minutes then a Witton corner undid Styal's defence giving the home side a 1-0 lead. A defensive error cost Styal again early in the second half before John Thornton hit a 25 yarder into the top corner to bring Styal back into the game. Although Styal had many chances during the game, John Thornton, Brian Matthews and Nick Challinor all missed good chances it was Witton that played the better football. Styal reserves meanwhile crushed Daten Reserves 4-0 with John Rixson scoring all the goals. They play the same opponents in the cup this week again at Altrincham Road. Styal 'A' drew 1-1 at home to Sale Rovers with Marcus Kenny having an outstanding game.

Saturday 21st January

Styal's home game against Middlewich Town on Saturday was called off after the referee had noted the condition of the Altrincham Road pitch, which is still not draining as well as it should. Added to that Styal reserves also suffered a postponement as the ground at opponents Gamesley was also unfit. Luckily Styal can rely on the 'A' team who managed to play and win:

                                      Sale Rovers 1 Styal 3.


Styal ‘A' broke the mini losing streak with a 3-1 away win at sale Rovers. The score line definitely flattered the home side with Styal missing numerous ‘Gilt Edge' chances which should have made the score 6 or 7 - 1.

A good start was then followed by some nervy scrappy football on a difficult pitch. However when concentration was fully resume and our passing game came together we looked a decent outfit said the Boss"¦..

Man of the match Joe Morell hit the score sheet first with a rasping drive, which the keeper could only parry into the net on 25 mins. James Vince made it 2-0 just after the ‘Half Hour'. Both James Vince and Scott Bradley them missed open goals, allowing the home team to stay in the game at half time.

Early into the second half Joe Morrell followed up his impressive first half display with another cracking drive from 25 yards which swerved into the net leaving the keeper stranded, Joe then burst through with two impressive runs and perhaps would and should have had his hat rick. He also struck a fee kick from outside the box which struck the cross bar, it just wasn't to be Joey"¦!!

A consolation goal on 75 minutes gave the home side some heart as Styal had switched off, though the result was never in doubt and further chances were missed by the away side.

Overall we were easily the better side, when we play football and pass and move the ball with Tempo, we murder teams, but we have a habit off switching off and going to sleep, far too often' Lack of concentration' is our biggest weakness, stated manager Mark Johnson, we have to play for the full 90 mins

However there were a number of plus points. Joe Morrell made a big difference down the left. Scotty H and Marcus Kenny have forged a good partnership in the centre of midfield and we always seem to have plenty of attacking options, we need to learn to defend better as a unit if we wish to push on. We need to look at the transfer situation and maybe strengthen with two players sooner than later"¦

We have the same opponents next week at home"¦.

Saturday 14th January 2006

Daten 0 Styal 2

The game started with Daten trying to force an early lead but were unable to break down the styal defence with the impressive Nick Vernon back to his best. With some fantastic passing coming from the away team and Craig Brennan a constant threat down the Styal right, the only surprise was the score being nil-nil at half time due to  the outstanding Daten keeper. The second half started the same as it finished with the away team restricting Daten to breakaways, one of which resulted in a free kick being awarded 25yrds from the styal goal with Nick Vernon having to pull off the save of the game. It came as no surprise when on 70mins an attack from the Styal right resulted in penalty kick being awarded for a handball by a Daten defender, which Capt. Keith Maires tucked away to give styal a deserved lead. With the home team now going for broke it wasn't until the 90th min that Styal, defending a corner suddenly broke away. Brian Mathews ran 60yrds with the ball andbeat the the Daten keeper with a well taken shot from the edge of the Daten box.    

Back at Altrincham Road,  Styal Reserves went down 2-1 to Linotype/Cheadle Heath Nomads. In the Altrincham League Styal 'A' performed for 60 minutes, then allowed Timperley to score 3 quick goals and run out 3-1 victors

Saturday 7th January 2006

The game started with each team unable to break down the defences until a Padgate free kick was launched into the Styal box. After 20 minutes with only Neil Capel following the flight of the ball and 2 Padgate forwards contesting the cross they turned it into the Styal goal. The second Padgate goal arrived after 25mins when Lloyd Morrison let the Padgate centre forward come in from the touchline and fire a cross/shot into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance. Oliver Barnes got a goal back for Styal with a clever turn and shot giving the Padgate keeper no chance on 35mins. This gave some hope until 2mins before half time when a cross from the right saw 3 Styal players and 1 Padgate forward going for the same ball and somehow everything ending up in the Styal goal. Half Time Styal1 Padgate 3. The start of the second half saw the introduction of Brian Matthews and Daniel MacDonnell with Morrison/Maires taken off. Although both subs did well Styal were unable to break down a organised Padgate defence and the full-time score was Styal1 Padgate 3

Monday 2nd January 2006

Poynton 0 Styal 1


Styal's only fixture so far in 2006 involved the first team on Poynton's heavy pitch. Styal put in a convincing performance limiting Poynton to 2 good chances which Nick Vernon in the Styal goal dealt with well. Styal's forwards caused Poynton's defence problems through the entire 90 minutes but the only goal to show for their endeavours came after 30 minutes from Ollie Barnes. This puts Styal back into the top half of the table and due to play Padgate, who have the same number of points at Altrincham Road this coming Saturday

Saturday 17th December

Styal's game against Trafford was postponed on Saturday due to the Altrincham Road pitch being frozen in certain areas. The reserves and 'A' team were more lucky however and their games were played. That was the end of the reserves good luck for the day and they went down 2-1 at Golborne Reserves. The 'A' team defeated Kartel on penalties in a gargantuan Broadheath Cup tie described below

Styal v Kartel.


Styal ‘A' won a hard fought cup game in Wilmslow on a cold December afternoon on Saturday. The game finished 1-1 after full time and 3-3 after extra time. Styal then won 4-3 on penalties in the failing light.

The first half was fairly even, with both sides competing well. Kartel were strong and well organised. Styal were slick at times, moving the ball quickly and had the edge when they played with Tempo.

Kartel went 1-0, early in the second half, Styal then pressed and soon equalised with a goal from James Vince. Honours were then even for lengthy periods but Styal fashioned the cleaner cut chances. Both Scott Bradley and Shawn Mellis had real chances to win the game in normal time and should have sealed a hard fought win.

Extra time saw Kartel dominate the first period and in 5 minutes of madness, Styal switched off and the visitors scored twice, the game looked out of reach, dead and buried at 1-3

However, the second period of extra time saw Styal straight out of the blocks and with two changes by Manager Mark Johnson, going from 442 to 352. They looked rejuvenated and inspired.

Styal looked the fresher side and after 5 minutes, Shawn Mellis bagged one to make the score 2-3. A goalmouth scramble then followed shortly after, Joe Morrel then struck from inside the area, get the boys back in the tie and level at 3-3.

Kartel were left somewhat ‘Shell shocked' and Styal pressed on to win the game, and it did look likely. Tow fleeting chances came and went and the final whistle came and honours were even.

The following penalty exchange was the sort of thing ‘Comic Books like Roy of the Rovers are made of. Penalties.

Kartel went first and went 1-0 up. Styal then missed and things looked bleak. Lady luck then smiled as Haydn Roberts saved his first penalty and Styal scored to make it 1-1

Kartel then missed the second and Styal scored. Making it 2-1 to Styal.

Kartel then scored to make things 2-2. Styal scored, going 3-2 in front and the finishing line was in sight.

Kartel them made it 3-3- and Styal needed only to score to win the tie. Then the un-thinkable happened. Tex stepped up, with all his experience in abundance and after a tremendous second half display, to then miss, the tie was then level again at 3-3, when Kartel scored again.

After the first five takers were nominated and kicks were taken, the tie then goes into sudden death. Both teams converted the first one, before Kartel missed the second. Jamie then stepped up and cool as you like slotted home the winner and it was finally all over.

Andy Giblin was man of the match with a ‘Towering Faultless' performance in the centre of defence.

A triumphant Styal ‘A' now march on into the next round full of confidence"¦


Saturday 10th December

Barnton 2 Styal 1

The game started with both sides keeping the ball well and trying to force an error from the other team. However after only 10 minutes Lloyd Morrison played the Barnton attack onside and despite shouts of 'away' from the Styal players from the ensuing cross, Daniel McDonnel swept the ball cooly into the bottom corner for a classic own goal. Styal then took the game to Barnton and it came as no surprise when the home team mounted a counter attack, which led to another own goal by a Styal defender. Joe Haywood attempted to block a weak Barnton shot  from the edge of the box but it took a massive deflection from off him sending keeper, Vernon the wrong way. Styal continued to play positively  and it came as no surprise when John Thornton lobbed the Barnton keeper from 30 yards 5 minutes before half-time. Styal continued in the same manner during the second half and camped outside the Barnton penalty box. With keeper Vernon a virtual spectator, Barnton made several goal line clearances and were saved by the woodwork twice in a frustrating for Styal one-sided second half.

At Altrincham Road Styal Reserves beat Padgate St Oswalds Reserves 4-0 with Basden getting a couple of well taken goals. Manager Kabbani, in his after match press conference was delighted with the performance and particularly the clean sheet.

Styal 'A' had another good away result, this time defeating NCC Global 3-1. Styal were resolute throughout and the key factor in the game was the threat Styal's right sided players carried for 90 minutes. The 3 goals were all pure class. Scott Hawkins involvement early in a midfield passing move was rounded off as he powered a header from the right wing cross. Dave Patton's left footed 'Roberto Carlos' special from a free kick whistled into the top corner. Although the home side scored just before half time Styal struggled to kill the game until the last 10 minutes. Cockitt played a ball through to Jim Vince who turned his defender and hit a meteorite of a shot from 25 yards almost taking the net off. Styal defended well and Roberts made one particularly outstanding first half save.

Saturday 3rd December

Eagle Sports 3 Styal 3

The game started with Styal on the attack and creating 2 good chances before Nick Challinor put Styal in front with a coolly taken goal after 10 minutes. With Styal camped outside the Eagle penalty box John Thornton added another for a 2-0 lead. Eagle pulled one back from a corner after 35 minutes and only a fine save from Nick Vernon kept Styal infront at the interval. Half time Eagle 1 Styal 2

The second half started just like the first and Brian Matthews put Styal 3-1 up and the game was seemingly over. Such was Styal's dominance, they should have had a cricket score. However with 10 minutes of the game left Eagle threw everything at Styal with 4 attackers on the pitch. The soft side of Styal now reared its ugly head. The defence were all at sea, the midfield without control and the forwards still missing chances and it came as no surprise that Eagle scored 2 in the last 10 minutes to make the final score 3-3. Lessons need to be learnt in all areas if Styal are to continue making progress.

Both of the other teams were also away and put in commendable performances. The reserves beat Crossfields Reserves 2-0 and progress through to the next round of the divisional cup. Joint managers Oates and Kabbani commented in the Ship later ''we should have won by a bigger margin such was our dominance''. Styal 'A' came back from 2-0 down, including one very dubious offside decision to draw 2-2 against Timperley Wanderers in the league. Exceptional performances by Roberts, Kenny and Hawkins with goals by Hawkins and Bradley

Saturday 26th November

Cheshire Cup 3rd Round

Styal 2 Christleton 4

Styal started the game well passing and moving around confidently. Within the first 20 minutes Styal had created 4 good openings, which unfortunately were not taken. This gave Christleton a boost and although the game could have already been over as a contest it was the visitors who broke away against the run of play to score the opening goal on 35 minutes. The second half started with Styal again on the attack. Craig Massey scuffed a shot into the bottom corner to make the scores level on 55 minutes. A goalkeeping error by Nick Vernon on 70 minutes however gave the lead back to Christleton. Styal now went for broke and John Thornton managed an equaliser to bring the scores level again at 2-2. With only 10 minutes left the introduction of player/manager Lloyd Morrison had an immediate and devastating effect. The away team scored 2 goals in the final mnutes to take the glory in a game that Styal should not have lost.

Meanwhile at Jim Evison Styal 'A' put in a workmanlike performance to see off a good Old Alts side by 4-0. Vince and Bradley upfront were both rewarded with a goal each and resolute defending made for a rare clean sheet.

Saturday 19th November

It was a blank week for Styal and Styal reserves as both teams games were postponed due to ice and waterlogging. Only Styal's 'A' team played and 
suffered a disappointing defeat after twice taking the lead. The
game was a scrappy affair with neither side taking total control. The pitch
was hard and bumpy after a nights frost and play proved tough at times for
both sides.
James Aldred scored his first senior goal for Styal and this capped a solid
display with Trafford awarding Jamie, with Styal's best player.
Our ability to get nervy when we have a slender lead and then self destruct
seems to be 'Our Speciality'...said Manager Mark Johnson. Final score Trafford United 3 Styal 'A' 2
One high point took place before Kick Off. Shawn Mellis was awarded Player
of the month for October by the Altrincham League. This is the first season of
the award and it was made to Shawn by Altrincham league official Malcolm Patterson.

This week sees Styal take on Christleton in the Cheshire Cup round 3 at Altrincham Road.

Saturday 12th November

Greenhalls Padgate St Oswalds 2-Styal 1

Styal started with an unchanged team for the 3rd consecutive game and were soon tested by a well organised and physical Padgate side. After 20mins Styal lost the ball in midfield. It was quickly played to the Padgate front man who sprang the offside trap to coolly finish for the opening goal. Following the goal both sides created several half chances but with no finished end product to both sides good work half-time arrived with Padgate St Oswald's 1Styal 0. The second half started with Styal going for goal frequently, with several chances going very close. Then, on 65mins a mistake by Dan Macdonnell (suggers) resulted in Padgate increasing the lead to 2. Despite Styal now pushing  forward at every opportunity they were unable to break the home defence until 2 minutes from time when Keith Mairs fired in unstoppable free kick from fully 25mtrs.

Styal Reserves Altrincham Cup run fell at the first hurdle on Saturday despite dominating opponents Atlantic and being infront for most of the game. A first half goal by Chris Smith was all Styal had to show for their first half domination. The pattern of spurned chances continued in the second half and the opponents landed 3 killer blows during the last 15 minutes to run out 3-1 winners

Saturday 5th November

Mid Cheshire League Cup


Barnton 0 Styal 6

A vintage display of cultured football and moves of surgical precision cut Barnton to shreds. It was a surprise that Styal's domination of the possession in the first half was rewarded with only a solitary goal from Ollie Barnes who was set up by Brian Matthews. The Barnton centre forward was dismissed after 35 minutes for a 2 footed challenge on Tueart and this left Barnton with an uphill task in the second half.

The second half fireworks all happened at the Barnton end. The driving forces from midfield, Tueart and Challinor had superb games. Craig Brennan replaced John Thornton just after half time, scoring himself and setting up goals for Mark Tueart and Brian Matthews. Matthews went on to score a fine hat trick. The only chances Barnton had were thwarted by the relaible Nick Vernon who covered after Steve Boardman's inexperience had allowed the Barnton forwards in.

Both the reserve and 'A' team games were postponed due to waterlogging.

Saturday 29th October

Cheshire Amateur Cup. Styal 2 Witton Albion Res 0


Witton came in a confident  mood to progress into the next round of the Cheshire cup after their convincing league win at Styal the week before. Styal had other ideas however and the game started with Styal passing the ball around in a manner not reached last week. The first goal was started by Dan McDonnell who put the impressive John Thornton free down the right wing to run to the by-line and square the ball to Oliver Barnes to put styal 1-0 ahead on 20 mins. Although Witton looked to impose themself on the game against a well organized Sytal team it came as no surprise when again Dan McDonnell (suggers) released Brian Mathews to run nearly half the length of the pitch and coolly slot the second Styal goal on 40mins. Half time Styal 2 Witton 0.

Witton came out for the second half playing long balls into the Styal area which were dealt with comfortably by the home defence. When Witton did get through they could not get past the old but impressive goalkeeper Nick Vernon who was on hand to clear the ball to safety. On 70mins defender Steve Boardman received his 2nd yellow and was sent off to make the last 20mins a backs to the wall game with Styal holding out for a clean sheet and into the next round. Full time Styal 2 Witton Albion 0     

Meanwhile the Styal Reserves earned a point with a 2-2 draw at Rylands. After coming back from 2-0 down they even had chances to seal a victory towards the end of the game.

The 'A' team played impressively in their Altrincham Cup game again higher league opposition. Styal had chances to win in normal time, however with the scores level at 2-2 extra time was played. Experience eventually overcame youth with Wythenshawe Amateurs winning 5-2

Saturday 22nd October

Styal 0  Witton Albion Res 4

Styal's unbeaten home home record was shattered by a well organised and hard working Witton team. The breakthrough came when Styal failed to clear a short corner and was coolly finished by the Witton captain after 15mins.This was shortly followed by another Witton corner which the keeper came and missed and was put away by the Witton attack. At this point with Witton well in control of the game a mistake by the home defence resulted with Witton grabbing a 3rd goal 5mins before the break. HT Styal 0 Witton Albion 3. The second half brought a much closer game with Styal now pushing for a goal  with several chances going astray and the Witton keeper making 3 outstanding stops to frustrate the styal attack. The game was over as a contest when Witton broke away and sealed a 4th goal 10mins from full time.

Saturday 8th October

Pilkingtons 0 Styal 1
Lloyd Morrison's first game in charge ended in a fine win against physically
tough opposition in this big Mid Cheshire clash. The game started with
Pilkington set on making this a battle more than one for the purists. This
was evident when after 15mins Styal midfielder Steven Boyd came out worse in
a 50/50 challenge and despite his determination to carry on he was replaced
by Matty Cook. The game carried on in the same vein until again a Styal
midfielder Matty Jackson came off with a groin problem after 35mins to be
replaced by Brian Matthews. Half Time: Pilkingtons 0 Styal 0. The second half
started the same as the first but with Styal now upping the tempo. 10mins
into the second half sub Matty Cook fired in a 25yrd shot into the top
corner of Pilkingtons net with the keeper well beaten . Styal were well in
control of the game by now with Pilkingtons long ball game being admirably
dealt with by the now tight Styal defence. Playmaker Oliver Barnes had to be
carried off after 60mins, again a result of a Pilkington tackle. Styal's
third sub Paul Eastwood came on and helped Styal home to a well fought
points    Final score:  Pilkington 0 Styal 1.
Back at Altrincham Road, Styal Reserves fought out a 2-2 draw against
Pilkingtons Reserves whilst Styal 'A' team crushed Trafford United 9-2 at
Jim Evison.
The club holds its cabaret evening at the Cresta Court Hotel, Altrincham on
November 19th. Tickets are now available from the club or members or e mail us


Styal looked to continue their impressive run four straight wins taking on a well organised and strong Pilkington side.

With a strong squad Styal to select from there were a few changes made after last weeks impressive 6 – 2 win, with last weeks man of the match Andy Giblin on the subs bench.

Pilkington proved to be tough opposition and controlled the first 20 minutes of the game and created several good chances only to see them slip by. Conditions were far from idyllic for goalkeepers with heavy rain making for some uncertain handling!  Pilkington thought they'd scored as the ball looked as though it had sneaked through the net only for the referee award a corner. It was only a matter of time before Pilkington made the pressure pay and it was through a finely struck shot from the edge of the box.

Styal replied with a well-taken goal by Bazil Kabbani which settled some Styal nerves and finally the football started flowing.

With the scores level at half time Styal pushed forward looking to make their possession pay and it was only a matter of time when yet another strike form the in-form Jon Rixon put Styal in the lead.

However Pilkington were far from dead and buried and the equaliser came with a matter of 5 minutes to go after a cross come-shot proved to slippy for Stuart Beaumont in the Styal goal as he spilled it the Pilkington forward was on hand to grab a late equaliser.

Styal take on Middlewich Town on Saturday looking to maintain the position in the league and to keep the pressure on a run-a-way Broadheath Central!

Saturday 1st October


The fans of both sides cannot complain with the number of goals at
Altrincham Road on Saturday, when Styal took on last year's champions
Barnton. Styal opened the scoring when after 10 minutes forward Brian
Matthews slipped the ball into the net following good approach work by John
Thornton. Styal's joy was short lived when Barnton equalised following poor
defensive work, and increased their lead when a 30 yard screamer flow into
the top corner of the net with Nick Vernon well beaten. As half time
approached Barnton went further ahead when good work by the Barnton forwards
opened up the Styal defence again.
Half time Styal 1Barnton 3
Following the half time pep talk by manager Martin Scholes things did not
look any better when within 5 minutes of the start Barnton again increased
their lead when former Styal player Paul Bayliss stooped to head yet another
goal. This galvanised the Styal team into a magnificent performance for the
remainder of the game. Goals from John Thornton, Brain Matthews and an own
goal, finished the game 4-4, but Styal could so easily have finished the
winner when great opportunities for John Thornton and Brian Matthews were
squandered. This was a great display by the Styal team considering 7 players
from the first team squad were unavailable, including 4 centre halves.
After the game manager Martin Scholes informed the team that due to work
commitments he would be stepping down and assistant Lloyd Morrison would be
taking over.
Styal's Reserves maintained their recent good form with a 2-6 drumming of
Eagle which moved them into second place in the table.
Styal's A team went down to table toppers AFC Sale 7-1.

Styal reserves v Eagle sports reserves

Saturday 1st October

Venue Eagle sports

Styal were looking to continue their recent good run of form  but yet again had to dip into their squad of players, this saw the return of Baz Kabbani, Adam Brooks and Paul Adkin to the starting line up.

The conditions were far from idyllic with heavy rain falling all morning and a strong breeze meant for difficult conditions for both teams.

Styal took hold of the game from the start dominating the midfield with Mark Tueart battling and hustling away giving the opposition no time to rest, and with Baz Kabbani looking fresh after a recent lay off wasted no time in making his presence in the air felt.

A good move saw the first of six goals from Styal when Jon Rixon fired home from close range, this was closely followed by a tidy finish from Danny Basden with a deft lob over the keeper into the top corner after a neat flick on from Paul Adkin. This then inspired a rejuvenated Paul " I'm a Lady " Adkin to slot the third goal home.

Half time saw two changes from Styal seeing Baz Kabbani and Adam Brooks being replaced, Styal were now loosing 78 years of experience!

However this didn't dampen things and shortly into the second half Styal extended their lead with Danny Basden slotting home his second of the game.

Goal number five came from a fine solo effort from Jon Rixon who picked up the ball on the halfway line and then continued to skip pass numerous challenges before slotting the ball home for what has to be considered goal of the season!

A lack of concentration saw Eagle sports grab two consolation goals before substitute Lawrence Fisher put the game well and truly to bed after having a couple of bites at the cherry before finishing for Styal's sixth.

Styal reserves now have three home fixtures and look to maintain their second place in the league. 


Saturday 24th September


Club stalwart John Thornton took Saturday's Cheshire Amateur Cup game by the
scruff of the neck to send Styal into the next round. The game against
League side Grange Athletic on paper looked like a walk in the park
based on the recent form of Styal. However every team has visions of cup
victory and Grange were no exceptions. They did not allow Styal to settle on
the ball and had by far the better chances in the first half with the wind
behind them. Grange opened the scoring after 35 minutes when Styal's defence
failed to clear from one of the long throw in that peppered Styal's defence.
The half time team talk emphasised Styal's lack of commitment and work
effort against a team from a lower league. Up stepped John Thornton to lead
by example and provide the opening for forward Brian Matthews to equalise
within the first five minutes of the start. Unable to keep the man down, up
popped JT to provide the opportunity for Matty Cook to score Styal's second
goal. Not content with this display, the JT road show provided the cushion
for Styal by scoring two more goals himself. With the foot taken off the
pedal with the three goal cushion, Styal allowed Grange to score another two
goals towards the end of the match. As time ran out, a relieved Styal
contingent on the touch line were praying for the ref to blow the whistle.
Final Score Grange Athletic 3 Styal FC 4.
Styal Reserves continued their recent run by despatching Witton Albion Youth
2-1 at home. The A team's luck ran out with a defeat at the hands of Old
Alts by 2-1.

Styal Reserves v Witton Albion Youth

Styal took on a youthful Witton team who were riding high in the league and looked to provide a good test for a Styal team who were looking for their third straight win.

Styal got off to a confident start passing the ball around neatly and testing the young Witton keeper with some nice crosses.

With three in midfield Styal had control and with the effortless running of Colin Fussell it was a matter of time before the Whitton defence finally cracked and a fine strike from Ray Beer flew into the net. The Styal defence coped well with Stuart Beauman in goal having very little to do in the first half.

The second half was to prove somewhat controversial, again Styal had the plenty of possession probing away until a nice move saw the youthful looking Colin Fussel find the back of the net to take Styal into a comfortable lead.

However the game was about to change!

The talk of the week was the debut of Jonathon Woodgate making his return to football after such a long lay off, only to score an own goal and get sent off. But Mike Pochin had his own version of a nightmare tucked up his sleeve.

A good tackle in the box by Mike saw the ball rebound and strike his arm only for the referee to award a spot kick, a very harsh decision, this allowing Witton to strike but not after a fine penalty stop by Stuart Beaumont.

Worse was to come for Mike after a shirt-tugging incident saw the referee produce a red card for what can only be described as an unbelievable decision.

Styal had their backs against the wall only for things to get worse with yet another sending off when Jon Rixon got his second yellow card of the game. With just over ten minutes to go the defence stood resolute to hold out and claim another three well deserved points.


Saturday 17th September


A 'good day at the office' for all concerned with Styal FC when all three
team managed to win. The first team won 1-0 at home to Eagle Sports, the
second team won 2-4 away against Crosfield Reserves, and the A team won 4-2
at home against Northenden Victoria. In fact the A team are now sat at the
top of the Altrincham and District Division 2, a far cry from their position
last season.
Styal welcomed for the first time Eagle Sports to Altrincham Road who were
promoted last season. Styal were depleted when veteran defender Lloyd
Morrison pulled up with a hamstring injury when attempting to chase younger
members of the team at training on Thursday evening. He is expected to be
out for several weeks. Therefore a young back four with an average age of 21
were given instructions to 'come of age' against the experienced and
physical forwards of Eagle Sports. They accomplished this by maintaining a
clean sheet throughout the game and when the referee gave a penalty which
Keith Mairs despatched with power, Styal picked up the three points. This
maintains them in fifth place and within touch of the leading pack.
This Saturday sees Styal embark on the Cheshire Amateur Cup trial away
against West Cheshire side Grange Althetic from Ellesmere Port.


Crossfield Reserves v Styal Reserves

Saturday 17th September

Venue Crossfields

Styal saw several changes in the team from the previous week with Leigh Tueart, Colin Fussel and Paul Marchbank taking up the central midfield roles, the back three remained unchanged with Mike Pochin Pat Lyons and Neil Capel.

Styal got of to a bright start with plenty of possession and some tidy football and with  Crossfields struggling to keep with the pace and an early breakthrough was soon to come when Neil Capel struck from ten yards after a failed clearance from a corner. Several chances went begging and with the Crossfields keeper making several fine saves kept them from sinking deeper into trouble.

After weathering the early pressure Crossfields stepped up the pace and forced Styal's keeper Stuart Beaumont to make three top class saves and took Styal 1 – 0 in at half time.

Again Styal started the second half brightly creating more good chances but again the Crossfield keeper was upto the challenge and kept the Styal strikers at bay.

With ten minutes to go a nice move down the right saw Mike Pochin deliver a pin point cross to see Danny Basden leap like the proverbial salmon to head home with a fine finish.

Crossfields looked down and out but lady luck shone as a cross from their right wing flew straight into the top corner although Stuart Beaumont at full stretch he was unable to keep the ball out. This sparked Crossfields to light and within three minutes of kick off a sweet turn and strike on the edge of the box saw the ball fly into the top corner again giving the Styal keeper no chance. After all the possession and chances Styal had missed during the game it looked like a travesty of justice was about to happen

However Styal weren't about to let all their hard work go without reward and with late strikes from Paul Marchbank and Jon Rixon saw the points safely in Styals bag.


Saturday 10th September


It was always going to be a hard battle against league leaders
Linotype/Cheadle HN and in the wet conditions with the ball skidding around,
it proved correct. The home side were out of the traps quicker than Styal
and were sharper and more industrious, hence it was no surprise that after
10 minutes they went ahead when ex Styal player Andy Pearce turned in the
box and fired home. The usual hardworking midfield of Styal were not firing
on all cylinders and were allowing the Linotype midfield to dominate the
play. However Styal were able to prevent Linotype from extending their lead.
HT Linotype 1 Styal 0
The second half saw Styal take the game to their opposition and started to
put together their normal free flowing game. The pace of John Thornton and
Brian Matthews were now starting to cause problems for the slowing Linotype
defence. With 20 minutes to go Brian Matthews had the best chance to draw
level but didn't even manage to hit the target. As Styal pushed forward
substitute Paul Marchbank was unlucky when a cross from the right just
evaded him with the goal wide open. As much as Styal fought to draw level it
was a day of disappointment.
Full Time Linotype 1 Styal FC 0
Good wins for both the second and A teams maintained their improved start to
the season.


Styal Reserves v Rylands Reserves


Saturday 10th September



A welcome back to joint manager Baz Kabbani after a 2 week break added a touch of steel and experience to the makeshift midfield. With several players missing Styal saw a reshuffle of the formation from the previous week in order to take the game to the opposition.

However a lack of concentration saw the visitors break through after only 4 minutes to take an early lead, this prompted an immediate response with some good possession football from Styal and saw several good chances go begging and with a goal from Baz Kabbani being disallowed it seemed that it wasn't going to be Styals day.

Lively movement up front from Jon Rixon and Danny Basden always showed sighns that it was only a matter of time before the inevitable goal was forthcoming. Twenty minutes into the second half a tired looking Rylands slipped up to allow Jon Rixon to sneak in to grab the equaliser. At this stage Styal had a stranglehold of the game and it was only a matter of minutes before the 2nd goal came with a fine finish from the now confident Jon Rixton. As Rylands pushed forward looking for an equaliser the Styal defence looked solid and organised and with good support from Colin Fussel and Jamie McClymont playing wide, Styal produced some fast flowing counter attacks.

The 3rd and final goal saw Jon Rixon grab a well deserved hatrick with another clinical finish after a flowing move from the left.

This result was well deserved after a disappointing defeat from the previous week,and has now brought a mood of confidence back into  the Styal team.


Saturday 3rd September


Styal continued on their winning run on Saturday when they demolished
unbeaten Daten 4-0 at home. Within 60 seconds of the game starting Styal
were on their way when John Thornton and Olly Barnes caused havoc in the
Daten defence with their pace, allowing John to slot the ball home. Fifteen
minutes later, the rampant Styal forwards again left the Daten defence
bemused which enabled Olly Barnes to strike the ball goal ward only for it
to take a deflection and end up in the back of the net. The slow turning
Daten defence were again caught out when Olly Barnes was fouled in the box
and up stepped captain Keith Mairs to hammer the ball into the back of the
Half time Styal 3 Daten 0
Within a few minutes of the re-start the opportunity for Daten to get back
in the game was squandered when Daten were awarded a penalty when Lloyd
Morrison fouled the lively Daten forward in the box. Nick Vernon pulled off
a great save to deny any chance of a comeback. Daten pressed forward, but
for all their endeavour the resolute Styal defence held firm. With time
running out Olly Barnes ran through the tiring Daten defence to slot the
ball into the far corner of the net.
Final Score Styal 4 Daten 0
This Saturday Styal's first team play Linotype/Cheadle Heath away.
Linotype/Cheadle Heath are currently sitting on top of the league so it will
be a good test to see if Styal can be championship contenders.

Saturday 27th August


For 24 hours Styal FC's first team were sat in second place in the Mid
Cheshire League's top flight, following their demolition of near neighbours
Poynton. A much improved performance over their last home match resulted in
Styal picking up all three points. Goals by John Thornton and Brian Matthews
secured the victory.
Saturday saw the difficult away fixture against Garswood which always proves
to be a battle. And Saturday's game was no different when Styal went behind
after 10 minutes. Good work between Olly Barnes and John Thornton after 20
minutes resulted in the equaliser with John Thornton placing the ball wide
of the keeper. Garswood's physical presence was providing Styal a stern test
but the defence managed to hang on for the rest of the half.
On the first attack of the second half, forward Olly Barnes, rose above the
Garswood defence to head Styal into the lead. Garswood pressed forward and
poor defence work allowed them to score two more goals. With time running
out, the never say die attitude of Styal, provided captain Keith Mairs with
a strike from 30 yards which screamed into the back of the net to equalise.
Final Score Garswood 3 Styal 3
This Saturday sees Styal 1st team away and the 2nd at home against Daten.

Saturday 20th August


Following the disappoinment on the first Saturday of the season from the
lost game against Crosfields, Styal has bounced back to move into sixth
place in the table. On Tuesday evening saw the first home game against near
neighbours Bollington. A weakened Styal team gave away two early goals to
the lively Bollington team. It was only in the last five minutes that Styal
managed to draw level, when Olly Barnes was upended in the box for Joe
Heywood to stroke the penalty into the bottom corner. Final score Styal 2
Bollington 2.
The loss of Neil Capel, Matty Jackson, Jamie Aldred, and Craig Massey for
Saturday's game away against Warrington based Rylands meant manager Martin
Scholes was forced to look to some of the untried players to bolster the
team. At short notice, Nick Vernon came out of retirement to provide the
safe pair of hands in goals and steady the fort. However, all the players
covered themselves in glory with an emphatic 3-0 win. Tormentor in chief,
John Thornton was the first to strike when singlehandly he dispossessed the
Rylands centre-half and from 25 yards out, lobbed the keeper. Rylands were
playing into Styal's hands with their numerous attempts to play the offside
trap. Styal managed to break the trap several times but failed to increase
their lead, but five minutes before halftime the opportunity presented
itself when John Thornton was pull by his shirt in the box. Joe Heywood
stepped up but fluffed the shot which was easily saved.
The second half presented Styal with two further goals from pacey forward
Brian Matthews to settle the game beyond the hands of Rylands. However, in
the last few minutes centrehalf Joe Heywood gave a penalty away when the
ball hit his hand. Nick Vernon came to the rescue and saved the shot.
Final Score Rylands 0 Styal FC 3.
This week Styal are at home on Tuesday against near neighbours Poynton and
on Saturday travel to Garswood.
This Tuesday will see the introduction of a match day programme which has
been made possible through local business sponsorships.



Saturday 13th August


The opening weekend of the new season saw Styal with a mixed bag of results.
The Reserves produced a fine win away at Billinge Reserves by 0-3. New
players Jon Rixton and young Danny Besden opened their account, with the
third coming from an own goal.

The first team were away against last seasons third placed team, Crosfields.
This is always a difficult fixture for Styal who went down both times to
them last season. The team including new signings Craig Massey ex Woodley,
and front man Oliver Barnes, ex Radcliffe, in their starting lineup.
Considering the rain before the match the pitch was still in a playable
condition. Crosfields opened brightly and looked the better side for the
first 15 minutes and managed to squeeze a soft goal in the 14 minute
following slack defending from Styal. As the half progressed Styal came more
into the game with midfield trio Craig Massey, Keith Mairs and Matty Jackson
getting to grips with their physically strong oponents.
Half time Crosfields 1 Styal 0
Renewed determination from the kickoff gave Styal the upper hand and from
great interchange play between the hard running John Thornton and Olly
Barnes produced a tap in for Brain Matthews to equalise the scores. As the
game moved into it's final stages Crosfields resorted to their long ball
tactics in desparation to secure a win. As the rain poured down these
tactics started to produce opportunities for Crosfield's against a tiring
Styal defence. With only 5 minutes to go Crosfields managed to score their
winning goal, much to the desolate Styal team's anguish
Final Score Crosfields 2 Styal FC 1

This Tuesday sees Styal's First team at home to local rivals Bollington and
on Saturday are away to Rylands. The Reserves are also away to Pilkington
Reserves on Saturday.